Monday, April 23, 2007

Hot Fuzz!






HOT FUZZ
10/10




Shaun of the Dead has been declared as "one of my favorite films of all time." I know that phrase gets thrown around quite often when it comes to critical examination of a given film, but let me tell you dear reader, I mean it whole heartedly. The writing and directing of the film is nothing short of pure genius, and the acting only compliments the former to the fullest extent. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright craft a nearly perfect story with Pegg and Nick Frost heading up the cast. This film makes me as giddy as a Japanese schoolgirl, and I can proudly quote nearly every single line of dialogue. Now Wright, Pegg and Frost would like to share a little film with you that they have passionately titled, Hot Fuzz.

This was everything I could ever have wanted in a follow up film. The fellows have now tackled the massive undertaking of creating a parody of all films action oriented, and in particular, cop action films. The movie started out with the trio's trademark of super fast montages, characterized by snap zooms and a funky soundtrack. No problems here. Things were already off to a good start in the first 4 minutes or so. Simon Pegg portrays Sergeant Nicholas Angel, an elite police officer from the city who is transferred to a Village location merely because he is "making the rest of the team look bad." Simple yet genius.

Nick Frost plays Danny Butterman, the PC of the police department of the village town Sandford. His father is the Inspector of the department (hullo its Britain don't ya know?!) and is portrayed by the brilliant Jim Broadbent. Other VERY notable roles in the film were those of Timothy Dalton as the supermarket king-pin, Simon Skinner, and Paddie Considine and Rafe Spall as the two "Andy's" The story began to escalate from there as Angel starts to settle into the sleepy and somewhat motionless country cop job. Things then begin to get ugly. Mysterious murders begin to take place and Angel is quick to get to the bottom of it.

I'm not going to reveal too much more because I think that half the fun of this movie is the story and I would be considered a "Bloody Wanker" if I were to spoil any of it. Just be prepared to face references to any action movie that has been made in the last 10 years The placement of these was completely genius too. I often found myself being the only one in the whole theater to catch a reference and laugh out loud. Not a good idea. But still, that just goes to prove my point on the absolute genius of the writing and execution of this film. I honestly feel perfectly happy with giving this movie a 10/10, something I rarely do, merely because of its charm and attaching nature to the viewer. Some have heard me say that it wasn't as funny as Shaun of the Dead, but I think I need to change my words slightly. The comedy may not have been as outspoken as the former, yet this only goes to show that the writing has become tighter and subtler. Something I personally like in a comedy. Actually one of the only things I like in any comedy. And those of you who know me personally know that I am not usually a fan of comedic motion pictures.

So all in all folks, this was a perfect film in my opinion, even higher than my beloved Grindhouse. It happens folks. So right now, this is at the top of my 2007 list. I was talking to Matt Jones last night (former Golden Briefcase contributor) and we were both discussing what was still to come this year and let me tell you folks, we are in for one eventful year. We have Spidey 2 coming out in a week or so, closely followed by Pirates 3, and then after that 28 Weeks Later and many many more. It's going to be a great year in film. Still too early to see if it will be better than 06, but we'll have to see.

SO. Go see Hot Fuzz immediately, and in the words of the wise Head Geek Harry Knowles, "It would be criminal not too."


TB signing off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie. I remember when I saw it in theaters something was wrong with the projector... movie.. thing... that they use.. to project.. the movie... (>_>;) and we had about five 2 minute breaks in the movie. It was really weird. I haven't seen it since then. I guess it's time to rent it.

And I shall certainly be seeing Hot Fuzz... but not until I see Grindhouse.

-Aimee

Anonymous said...

People should read this.